Monday, September 05, 2005

Walking: Paper-like displays

I've been following the research into "paper-like" displays for at least ten years now. My dream is to have a display that is essentially an unrollable scroll. It would be like paper or thick plastic, have a high contrast display, allow for large 'paper' sizes (e.g. a 17-20 inch high-definition display) and consume little power (to make portable computer batteries last as long as possible).

This article suggests that we are finally getting to the point where the very first of these sorts of devices will be practical. It's quite a bit smaller than I'd like, and it's only 4-gray monochrome, but if it actually makes it into production it would be a good start.

Of course, I've seen predictions of commercial products like this coming "in one or two years" for at least the last ten, so I'm not holding my breath.

No comments: